News

Inter-European Region Executive Committee – II

Inter-European Region Executive Committee – II

Bern, November 11, 2012. [CD-EUDNews]. The secretary's report draws a picture of the EUD membership as a whole. Adventist members are glad to share their faith with others, but in secular Europe membership growth is slow and sometimes static. At the end o

November 11, 2012 | CD-EUDNews. Pictures C.Cozzi


Bern, November 11, 2012. [CD-EUDNews]. Secretary’s report. The secretary's report draws a picture of the EUD membership as a whole. Adventist members are glad to share their faith with others, but in secular Europe membership growth is slow and sometimes static. At the end of the second quarter of 2012, in the Inter-European Region 177,166 members worshiped together in 2,524 churches and 694 companies. Although there is possibility of a slight decrease, we hope that by the end of the year we can retain the initial membership.
More than 70% of the members joined the Seventh-day Adventist church in the Inter-European Division during the past 20 years. This also shows that this division is a dynamic one. However, the major challenges are the aging population in society as well as in the church, the decrease in child births in Christian families, and finally, the widespread of secularism. “The question should not be focused on the lack of growth, or the size of thi

s hemorragy,” said Corrado Cozzi, EUD Communication, “but we should pay more attention on how to keep our members in the church.”
The good news is that there are more and more local churches experiencing a spiritual revival and are connected in a renewed outreach effectiveness. The union leaders' reports have shown that growth is possible and it happens where members are united in prayer and in outreach work.
In his report, Gabriel Maurer, the Executive EUD Secretary, pointed out the high value of volunteer service in the church and its institutions. Words of appreciation were given to such people who decided to consecrate part of their time to work as God’s agents of altruism in an increasingly self-centered world.

Treasurer’s reportNorbert Zens, EUD treasurer, started his report with the words of Ellen G. White, American writer and one of the pioneers of the Adventist church, “In ourselves we are incapable of doing any good thing; but that which we cannot do will be wrought by the power of God in every submissive and believing soul.” From the treasury point of view the year-end meetings of the Adventist Church are focused on the planning

of the budget for the following year. This task is more difficult as the economy has become more unstable. On a world-wide scale in 2012, tithes and offerings have still grown by about 4 percent. In EUD we are seeing a different picture. In some Unions many members are facing difficulties due to the financial crisis and tithe is decreasing, whereas in other Unions the tithe is still growing. Overall in 2012, up to now we have a slight decrease of tithe in EUD of about 1 – 2 percent. We are very thankful to God and our members for their continued support of the church in spite of financial challenges.
About three quarters of the income from EUD stems from tithe-sharing of the Unions. The rest comes from GC appropriations and also other income. In 2013 EUD has planned to use about 75 percent of its income to support EUD institutions, giving appropriations to Unions and support different evangelistic programs in the Unions. The remaining 25 percent of the income are used for the operation of the Division office in Bern, Switzerland.
During this year-end meeting a document on transparency and accountability was also shared with all members of the executive committee. Church members want to have confidence in church leadership and stewardship. This document highlights important principles and best practices in order to achieve transparency and accountability.
We are living in a challenging world, but we can trust in God guiding his church. “If we were left to ourselves to plan, we would make mistakes. Our prejudice, our weaknesses, our self-deceptions, and our ignorance would be manifested in many ways. But the work is the Lord's, the cause is His; He never leaves His workmen without divine directions.”

Back to list